Protect your clients' credit cards
You can't secure it if you don't understand it.
According to the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA), 61% of breaches hit small businesses last year, up from the previous year's cost of 53% (Verizon 2017). Moreover, there were 39% of small businesses in the UK were hacked in Q1 2022 (UK GOV).
So, you can imagine how would be the situation in Saudi Arabia?
According to a report from Kaspersky, there were 7 million cyberattacks in Saudi Arabia during Q1 of 2021!!
Threats and attacks can put your business at risk
Here we’re listing the top security risks that could impact your business along with the recommended solutions to protect your business from such attacks.
Criminals use malicious software to infiltrate a computer system and steal payment data. Ransomware is the fastest-growing malware threat.
How to protect yourself from Malware?
- Keep your computer and software updated.
- Use a non-administrator account whenever possible.
- Think twice before clicking links or downloading anything.
- Be careful about opening email attachments or images.
- Don't trust pop-up windows that ask you to download software.
- Limit your file-sharing.
- Use antivirus software.
Phishing emails are a common delivery vehicle for malware. These emails look legitimate, such as an invoice or electronic fax, but they include malicious links and/or attachments that can infect your computer and system.
How to protect yourself from Phishing?
- Protect all computers in the organization by using security software.
- Protect all mobile phones and tablets by instituting a mandatory update on devices that access your network.
- Protect your accounts by using multi-factor authentication.
- Protect your data by backing it up.
Criminals can gain access to your systems that store, process, or transmit payment data through weak remote access controls. Remote access may be used by your payment terminal vendors, for example, to provide support to your terminal or to provide a software update.
How to protect yourself from unauthorized remote access?
- Stay up-to-date on all security patches.
- Detect intrusions and respond to them quickly.
- Apply the principle of least privilege (reduce access to data).
- Use multi-factor authentication.
- Implementation of IP whitelisting.
- Encryption of network traffic within the system.
More than 80% of data breaches involve stolen/or weak passwords.
How create a strong password?
- Make it long.
- Use a combination of characters and numbers.
- Avoid common alternatives.
- Do not use keyboard paths example (eg qwerty).
Criminals look for outdated software to exploit flaws in unpatched systems.
How do maintain up-to-date systems?
- Update operating systems to the latest version.
- Update device drivers.
- Update the firewall.
- Update apps.
- Update your antivirus software.
Note: Updates should be monitored periodically.
Criminals attach small hardware "skimming devices" to card readers which can sweep customer payment data when they use payment cards at your store.
Criminals use the stolen data to create counterfeit cards and make illegal purchases.
How to protect yourself from Skimming?
- Check your bank statements often.
- Protect your PIN.
- Keep in mind to avoid using a debit card online.
- Use only ATMs in the bank.
- Do not use public wireless access for financial transactions.
- Report problems immediately.
PCI Data Security Evaluation Tool For Small Merchants:
This tool is provided by PCI SSC, it provides security basics to protect against payment data theft and to help small merchants simplify their security and reduce their risk.
Try it now: Tool Link
Get a look at the merchant guide to safe payment report from PCI DSS
How Daam Al-Arabia can help you?
Our security experts at Daam Al-Arabia can help you to protect your business in KSA by recommending the right solution for your business and getting your PCI DSS certificate quickly.
We also offer robust, cost-effective, PCI DSS approved solutions in Saudi Arabia:
- Conducting security assessments.
- Vulnerabilities scan, PCI DSS approved.
- Penetration tests.
Our wide range of services will not only help you prepare for PCI DSS compliance but will improve the overall security of your organization.
Our Experts Always Here to Help You.